(In order to be the most accurate dream site in the world, we have limited our dream symbol dictionary to only include dream symbols that we have seen manifest in real-life firsthand, and Biblical dream symbols that have been defined in the Bible.)
Water is a VERY common theme in dreams. When interpreting a dream with water as an important part of the dream, emotions in the dream are usually crucial for
interpretation. At the end of the page is a link to other dreams of water that were interpreted and have come to pass in real-life. These can help give you an idea of what water means in a variety of dreams.
Water typically symbolizes spiritual life, gathering places of people – including online groups or a business, or a specific situation that we pass through.
Emotions define the context of the dream. Happy emotions mean the context of the dream is pleasant. Upsetting emotions foretell a future period of difficulty.
Having a dream with rain inside your home precedes a period of difficulty.
If the major theme in the dream is rain or water washing over your body which feels wonderful: cleansing, salvation, spiritual refreshing.
If calm, peaceful, refreshing and sweet, pools or wells of water: The dream is about life in the spirit, church, or ministry.
Turbulent, troubled, raging, rushing, up to your neck represents emotional turmoil. If your body is in troubled waters, it is often anxiety related to actual or perceived health situations. In a boat is often related to ministry but not necessarily health-related.
Flowing water – The flow of the Holy Spirit.
River of water – If sweet, clean, refreshing, can be life in the spirit or a river of living water.
Ocean or sea – Finding yourself in the ocean or on the sea alone could be loneliness or lack of help. Abraham Lincoln dreamed of being adrift on an endless ocean shortly before he died.
Tsunami – feeling overwhelmed, devastation.
Water that is:
- Dirty: Trouble, problems
- Turbulent: Fear, emotional turmoil.
- Up to your neck and stressful: Upcoming difficulty.
- Clean/clear: cleansing power of the blood of Christ, Salvation, life in the Spirit
- Over your head: in over your head, overwhelmed, powerless, depression, or immersed.
- Body of water: Note the size of the water. Ocean would represent something big or worldwide. A small pool would be a local gathering place or something on a small scale.
- Waterfalls: If going over the falls = danger or anxiety. If watching and peaceful – beauty and tranquility.
- White water: Out of control, turbulent period.
- Calm, clear pool or well – Life in the Spirit or ministry, a business, or a small ministry or group.
- Baptism – fresh start, rebirth.
- Being raised or lifted above the water means rising above your current circumstances to a lofty position.
A beach represents the place between the spirit (water) and the natural world (land). Many people have dreams of beaches before dying. However, seeing a beach in your dreams can also represent an actual beach prior to an upcoming vacation or moving to a beach community.
Click here to read real-life examples of water dreams interpreted and the actual outcome.
If you need expert help understanding your dreams, please ask Mia in our Dream Forum. Mia has been interpreting dreams for twenty years. She has a proven track record and has helped thousands of people understand their dreams.